Please note: The Department of Public Safety will accept applications for the State Trooper Recruit (Academy) from all qualified applicants who are eligible to accept employment in the United States. The minimum qualifications for the State Trooper Recruit (Academy) are outlined below.
To apply to be an Alaska State Trooper, you must meet these minimum qualifications:
- Citizen of the United States of America or resident alien who has a demonstrated intent to become a citizen of the United States of America.
- Possession of high school diploma or a GED certificate.
- 21 years of age or older at the time of Academy.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license issued within the United States.
- Never denied certification or had basic certification revoked by the Alaska Police Standards Council or the responsible licensing agency in any other issuing jurisdiction (unless the denial or revocation has been rescinded by the council under 13 AAC 85.270 or by the responsible licensing agency of the issuing jurisdiction).
- Never discharged or resigned under threat of discharge, for cause relating to dishonesty or misconduct, from employment as a police officer in this state, any other state, territory or country.
- Not disqualified from any portion of a prior formal background investigation conducted for this job classification in the last twelve months.
- Not used, transported or purchased an illegal controlled substance other than marijuana during the last ten (10) years (unless under the age of 21 at the time of use AND the act occurred more than 3 years from date of application).
- Not used marijuana during the past twelve months.
- Not illegally manufactured, transported, purchased, distributed, or sold a controlled substance while employed as a peace officer or in a position associated with law enforcement.
- Not illegally manufactured, distributed, or sold a controlled substance (unless under 21 at the time of the act AND the act occurred more than 10 years ago).
- Not received more than three fish and wildlife enforcement citations within the three years before the date of this application.
- Not currently on court-ordered probation, either supervised or non-supervised.
- Not convicted of a felony whether set aside, suspended imposition, expunged, or pardoned, excluding juvenile adjudications.
- Not convicted of a misdemeanor crime that resulted in serious physical injury to another person in the last ten years.
- Not convicted of a crime, reduced or related, to domestic violence whether set aside, suspended imposition, expunged, or pardoned.
- Not convicted of two or more DUI or chemical test refusal offenses in the last ten years.
- Not convicted of a crime of dishonesty or moral turpitude in the last ten years.
- Not convicted of more than two misdemeanors in the last ten years (unless under the age of 21 at the time of the acts AND three years have elapsed since the most recent act).